The ability of a smile to light up an entire room of your friends, family, and loved ones can be one of the most important gifts you can give this holiday season. Don’t neglect your smile or it may not be able to serve you as well as it should.
Caring for you smile begins with brushing your teeth and gums. Although most individuals remember to add this step to their daily routine, it’s easy to not approach it with the best of techniques or effort. Here are some things you can do to keep your smile great for the holidays:
– Look for toothbrushes and toothpaste that are dentist-recommended with the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Chewy candies and hard candies can be extremely difficult to brush away. If possible, avoid them, or give extra care to brushing your teeth after consumption.
– Make sure to brush your teeth for 2 minutes, at least twice daily.
– Visit your dentist every six months or as directed for an oral exam with Dr. Jacqueline S. Reid, or a professional cleaning.
– Use toothbrushes with softer bristles, as harder bristles can damage your gums. Also, be sure not to press too hard. The goal is to clean the teeth, not strip them of their enamel.
– Keep your toothbrushes clean and properly stored when not in use.
– Many holiday delights can leave residue behind in hard to reach places, so be sure to brush thoroughly on all sides and surfaces of each tooth.
With the proper oral health care holiday hygiene, you can make your mouth dazzle this holiday season. For more information about brushing your teeth, or to schedule an appointment at Jacqueline S. Reid DDS in Chatham, New Jersey, please call us at 973.635.9456 to speak with a merry member of our team. Prevent cavities today, and enjoy tomorrow with a smile!